Located in the business-friendly Northwest Indiana (NW IN) Region and less than 45 minutes to Chicago, the Calumet neighborhood of East Chicago is prime for redevelopment. Calumet is situated within a designated Opportunity Zone, which offers deferred taxes and significant tax breaks to those parties willing to invest in low-income areas. In addition, the City of East Chicago fully supports the revitalization of this area for commercial, industrial and residential uses making it an ideal location to invest.
Calumet’s strategic location provides excellent access to major interstates, rail, waterways, ports, and airports.
- NW IN is a market comprised of global, national, and regional businesses that represent over $40 billion in commerce.
- Area provides excellent access to Midwest markets and transportation options, including multiple major interstates, airports, rail lines, Lake Michigan shipping, and intermodal terminals.
- All major surface routes between the east coast and Chicago pass through NW IN; Calumet is conveniently located 3 miles from I-90, 4.5 miles from I-94, and 10 miles from I-65.
- Major infrastructure improvements: recent expansion of Gary/Chicago International Airport; dredging of East Chicago’s port and redevelopment of lakeshore.
- Ranked best in the Midwest and 5th nationally, the State of Indiana offers a business-friendly climate
Significant investments are being made in the area, creating new opportunities for revitalization and economic growth. Two significant development projects are underway in the Calumet neighborhood – totaling nearly 4 million square feet of new modern warehouse distribution space.